It may have been a long time coming, but Bandai Namco has now released a mobile iteration of their fighting game franchise Tekken in the U.S., Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. These are the final regions to get the game as part of its global rollout which began at the start of February. Tekken had soft launched months ago in select regions.
Tekken’s mobile outing is not quite the traditional fighting game that some players may be expecting. While it does have fighting game roots that show through, this latest entry in the series also focuses on powering up characters and collecting skill cards. As one might imagine, that also leads to in app purchases and other things gamers looking for a pure fighting game may find disappointing.
The final phase of the game’s global release comes less than a week after Capcom’s Street Fighter IV: Champion Edition hit Google Play. While Tekken is an all new take on the franchise that tends to focus on powering up characters, Street Fighter IV: CE is a traditional fighting game experience. Both games are free, but Street Fighter only has a single IAP to unlock the full game while Bandai Namco’s new release has plenty of options for gamers who want to spend money on the game.
Tekken is free and contains in app purchases. Here is an excerpt from the game’s description and a trailer with more information:
- Collect over 20 characters with unique fighting styles
- Upgrade and unlock over 20 unique special moves for each fighter
STORY MODE – Explore the world of TEKKEN
- Join the legendary fighter, Kazuya Mishima, as he battles against his toughest adversary yet! Battle through a map-based campaign featuring unique encounters and specialized and powerful bosses.
- Build specialized teams to take down unique missions
- Explore dynamic battle maps to uncover compelling challenges and rewards
DOJO CHALLENGE – Online Versus Battles
- Build a team and battle against your friends and the community in this online versus mode
- Players record and upload their own in-game fighting styles into the AI of their dojo, giving them an authentic feel
Interested? Check out the action game on Google Play.