Indie publisher Noodlecake Studios has helped bring one of 2017’s surprise hits to Android. The difficult Getting Over it with Bennet Foddy offer gamers a chance to climb a mountain using a sledgehammer.
The physics based climber is designed with punishing difficulty in mind. Gamers need to swing their hammer to get around using its force and momentum as they try to climb higher. Designed to be frustrating, failure in Getting Over It is both inevitable and one of the main selling points of the game.
Since the game’s launch on Steam in 2017 there have been a number of clones that have appeared on Android, and even an homage to the game in the form of Golfing Over It with Alva Majo.
Noodlecake is a Saskatchewan, Canada based developer and publisher best known for developing the Super Stickman Golf series and publishing indie titles that include Alto’s Adventure and Mmm Fingers. Noodlecake is a prolific publisher of both free and paid games with plenty of well regarded games released in the past few years. This year they have already released It’s Full of Sparks, and Lichtspeer. For future releases check out a preview of Noodlecake’s planned 2018 releases.
Getting Over it with Bennett Foddy is $4.99 and does not contain any ads or in app purchases. Here is an excerpt from the game’s description and a trailer with more information:
- Climb up an enormous mountain with nothing but a hammer and a pot.
- Listen as I make philosophical observations about the problem at hand.
- Between 2 and ∞ hours of agonizing gameplay, depending. The median time to finish for my playtesters was 5 hours, but the mean was closer to ∞.
- Lose all your progress, over and over.
- Feel new types of frustration you didn’t know you were capable of.
Interested? Check out [GAME] on Google Play.