One of the original game developer simulation games has at last arrived on Android. Game Dev Tycoon from Greenheart Games and Rarebyte looks to offer Android users the same game development simulation experience that PC users have (mostly) enjoyed over the years.
Game Dev Tycoon has players start out developing games out of their garage in the 1980s. From there, they can grow their company, invest in research and development, manage a team filled with talented developers, and more. Along the way players will need to deal with management of their dev team, hiring, and training the best staff in order to make successful games.
Originally launched on PC via the Windows Store in 2012, Game Dev Tycoon was later released on Steam, Mac and Linux. Since its 2013 release, Game Dev Tycoon has managed to obtain an impressive 95% positive user reviews. This past November the game arrived on iOS.
Game Dev Tycoon is $4.99 and does not contain any ads or in app purchases. Here is an excerpt from the game’s description and a trailer with more information:
- Start a game studio on your own in the 80s, and grow it into a world industry leader
- Create your own games, mixing-and-matching genres, topics and platforms
- Hire, manage and promote your development team (but beware of crunch!)
- Open your own R&D lab and become an industry leader
- Try out a new challenge with the “Pirate Mode”: will you use DRM to keep afloat, at the risk of angering players?
Interested? Check out the tycoon game on Google Play.